The Eater Wrap: More Coffee, More Appleman, More Frank
Welcome back to our partnership with Eater. For this weekly Friday column, Eater editor Paolo Lucchesi gives his report on all the restaurant news that's fit to print, including glorious comebacks, new Burmese rivalries, all the awards show gossip and more fancy coffee joints.
1) By now, you've probably heard that Nate Appleman and Douglas Keane were the local winners at the '09 James Beard Awards, but so much more went down at the Food Oscars: fellow winner Michael Pollan was a no-show, the Times spoiled the big winner and Appleman rocked the Sean Jean. Oh, and Ubuntu's Jeremy Fox did some pole dancing.
2) His Highness Thomas Keller has always been a sucker for food nostalgia, and on that note, the Laundryman has decided to roll out a homey breakfast service at Ad Hoc. Waffles. Eggs. Bacon. Boom.
3) On the local beat, the biggest opening of the week was probably the first brick-and-mortar location of Let's Be Frank. Designed by Cass Calder Smith, the hot dog purveyor created such a buzz that it soon led to this monstrosity.
4) The Mission's 586th coffeehouse will be opening on 24th Street, but despite the java saturation, there's still no indication that the trend has reached its tipping point. This latest venture will serve Ritual and De La Paz, has an outdoor patio and will even get free WiFi up eventually.
6) Making a heartwarming comeback to the dining scene is Moroccan favorite Tajine. The Tenderloin staple shuttered in the winter, but now it has reemerged in an unlikely location: the Heights ultralounge on Van Ness.
7) Upon its arrival in the Outer Richmond last year, Pagan quickly became a favorite of those seeking Burmese cuisine, and now Pagan will be branching out ... in Burma Superstar's backyard, no less. Throw in Mandalay up the road, and who's ready for some Burma (Myanmar?) rivalries?
- The Eater Wrap: Bocuse Semi-Finalists, Sprinkles Madness, Hot Chefs and Still More Openings
- The Eater Wrap: Burger Bar Opens, Leiva Leaves, Dive Bars, MomoContests and MORE!
- The Eater Wrap: Tadich's Fire, Mission Burger and More!
- The Eater Wrap: More Pig, Less Postrio and Reporting From Aspen, Live!
- The Eater Wrap: Early Beard Nominations, Mission Plywood, the Ubuntu Burger and MORE!