Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink for Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Wire at Public Works: A combination of fashion show, hair-modeling event, and rock concert, Wire will feature dresses constructed of recycled telephone wire, coordinating hair and makeup by Elevation Salon, a performance by the Australian band The Black Ryder, and of course, cheap booze. Tickets are $10 in advance, but the drink specials are cheap: $3 Staropramen beer and $5 Karlsson's Vodka cocktails. 7x7 is one of this party's sponsors, so come out and support us! Tickets are here. (Sunday, June 12, 7 pm-2 am, at Public Works SF, 161 Erie St., Mission.)
2. Yuppie Friday at Monroe: Like peanut butter and chocolate, boozing and supporting good causes are a great combination. That's the philosophy behind Yuppie Friday's events, which offer the chance to drink cheaply and help charities like 826 Valencia, the youth literacy operation in the Mission. A $15 donation gets you two drink tickets and a donation to 826, while a gift of $20 includes three drink tickets and five raffle tickets. Get your tickets here, and yup it up. (Friday, June 10, 5:30-8:30 pm, at Monroe, 473 Broadway, North Beach.)
3. Friday Margaritas at Mijita: A deal to make Rebecca Black proud-- Traci des Jardins' Mexican operation is celebrating Friday with $5 margaritas all day at its locations in AT&T Park and at the Ferry Building, all summer long. Whether you're having a liquid lunch or getting out of work on the early side, it's a great opportunity to soak up whatever nice weather might come our way. (The Ferry Building Mijita even offers free chips and salsa from 4-7 pm.) If you're headed to the ballpark location, though, be sure that it's not an Orange Friday: the deal's null and void when the Giants are at home. (Fridays at two Mijita locations: 10 am-8 pm at One Ferry Building, Embarcadero; 11 am-8 pm at 24 Willie Mays Plaza, SOMA.)
4. $1 Beers at Rosamunde Mission: Unlike the mothership in the Lower Haight, the Mission iteration of Rosamunde brings both sausages and beer together under one roof. And even without the Toronado next door, they offer great deals on craft brews: if you stop by the restaurant in the afternoon, order a bite to eat, and name-check their Yelp page, they'll give you a pint of Racer 5, Anchor Steam, or Trumer Pils for just $1, through June 30th. (Monday-Thursday, 11:30 am-4 pm, at Rosamunde Sausage Grill, 2832 Mission St., Mission.)
5. Happy Hour at Dolores Park Cafe: While it's summer in the rest of the country, sunny days are a real event in SF during June. And when it comes to sunshine, there's no better place to bask than Dolores Park. Nearby Dolores Park Cafe's afternoon happy hour offers $3 draft and bottled beers, and select $5 glasses of wine-- even on Saturday and Sunday. Sure, it's a little bit pricier than brown-bagging it, but not having to stand in line for the the tiny park restrooms? Priceless. (Daily, 4-7 pm, at Dolores Park Cafe, 501 Dolores St., Mission.)