Secret Recipe: 4505 Meat's Best Damn Cheeseburger
7x7 asks the Bay Area's chefs for the recipes to their most loved cocktails, bar snacks, starters, mains, and desserts.
That perpetual line in front of 4505 Meats at the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market? Blame it on the Best Damn Cheeseburger by chef Ryan Farr and his wife, Cesalee. The comestible bacchanal is composed of juicy dry-aged, grass-fed Magruder Ranch beef (butchered and ground fresh daily); nutty Gruyère cheese; sweet-savory secret sauce; and a sesame-scallion bun. DIY with this recipe, or order up at 4505 Burgers & BBQ, due to open this month on Divisadero Street.
Best Damn Cheeseburger
1½ pounds ground beef (80% lean, 20% fat), grass fed
½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
½ large head iceberg lettuce,
cut into 2 wedges
3 tomatoes (in season), sliced 1/4-inch thick to yield 12 pieces
6 ounces gruyere, sliced 1/16-inch thick to yield 6 pieces
4 ounces Shhh! Sauce
6 hamburger buns
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1. Portion ground beef into six 4-ounce patties about ¼-inch thick.
2. Warm a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Drizzle half of the butter into the skillet. Place buns, cut side down, into the pan.
3. Brush tops of buns with remaining melted butter. Cook each side approximately 1½ minutes. Remove buns from pan.
4. Turn heat to high, place patties in skillet, and season with salt (about 1/4 teaspoon per patty).
5. Cook patties approximately 1½ minutes, then flip.
6. Add cheese to patties and continue to cook 1½ minutes.
7. Place medium-rare patty on bottom bun.
8. Slather a hefty tablespoon of Secret Sauce on 2 leaves of lettuce.
9. Layer lettuce, tomato, and onion on top of the patty.
10. Add top bun. Enjoy!
For the Shh! Sauce
Makes 1 cup
6 ounces mayonnaise
3 tablespoons sweet relish
2 teaspoons ketchup
1 teaspoon mustard
Pinch extra-fine salt
1. Mix ingredients together until incorporated.
2. Place in refrigerator until well chilled, about 1 hour.
This article was published in 7x7's April issue. Click here to subscribe.