Whether you're gearing up for an epic summer vacation, or simply getting antsy for sun-filled days in Dolores Park, a great swimsuit is a must. This year, the Spring/Summer and Resort/Cruise 2012 collections showcased several key trends -- color-blocking, cool cut-outs, provocative straps, lavish prints, scuba, belts, high-waisted bottoms -- to keep in mind while selecting the perfect suit.
While swimwear design is more varied than ever, for most of us it all boils down to two main concerns -- fit and flattery. For a retro-fresh and flattering-to-boot bikini, try Norma Kamali's high-waisted bottoms (#2). If you're looking to create some curves, slip into Zimmerman's sleek, black mailot (#7), with a belt and clever cut-outs that define and accentuate shape.
1. Zimmerman Vivid Bits Maillot, $328
2. Norma Kamali Johnny D Bikini Bra, $175, and Wrap Bottom, $200
3. Agent Provocateur Mazzy Bikini Top, $220, and Bikini Briefs, $170
4. Mara Hoffman Printed Bustier Binki, $220
5. Michael Kors Colorblock Scuba Swimsuit, $327
6. Karla Colletto Plunge-Front Swimsuit, $245
7. Zimmerman Stud One Piece, $375
Lily Ko (lily.7x7 @ gmail.com) studied fashion design and merchandising at Central Saint Martins and the Academy of Art University. In addition to writing for 7x7, Lily is an editor at SF Station, and works as a freelance stylist and apparel designer.