One of the best parts of a Tartine sandwich (besides taking it to Dolores Park on a sunny Sunday), are the spicy pickled carrots it comes with.
The carrots provide a sharp, briny contrast to the rich, cheesy pressed sandwich. Now you can recreate these at home with the recipe below from Tartine's Matriarch Liz Prueitt (follow her on Instagram for more delicious recipes).
Tartine's Spicy Pickled Carrots
8 oz vinegar
10 oz water
2 garlic cloves
1/2 oz black peppercorns
1/2 oz red pepper flakes
1/2 oz salt
12 medium carrots
1. Heat all the ingredients except for the carrots and bring to a boil.
2. Add carrots and simmer for about 3 minutes until barely tender.
3. Remove carrots onto a tray and cool. Cool pickling liquid.
4. When both carrots and vinegar are cool, combine together.
5. May be stored up to two weeks.