Secret Recipe: Wise Sons' Chocolate Filling and Streusel
7x7 asks the Bay Area's chefs for the recipes to their most loved cocktails, bar snacks, starters, mains, and desserts. If there's a dish you can't stop thinking about and want to make at home, email email@example.com. Your wish may end up on the blog, along with the actual recipe from the chef.
If you're here, you've already found the recipe for owners' Evan Bloom and Leo Beckerman's Chocolate Babka at Wise Sons Jewish Delicatessen in the March issue of 7x7 ("It's Kosher," p. 80). But they're not complete without chocolate filling and streusel. Enjoy!
3¾ tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1½ ounces water
1½ sticks unsalted butter
1¼ pounds semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped to pea size
1. Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
2. Combine water and butter in a medium pot on low, and bring to a simmer.
3. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Let cool until thickened like a ganache or a thick, hot fudge.
5. Add half of chopped chocolate to the mixture.
¾ cup all-purpose flour
2½ tablespoons white sugar
2½ tablespoons brown sugar
⅓ teaspoon cinnamon
½ stick unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1-inch cubes
1. Combine all dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. Add butter and mix with your hands until crumbly. Butter should be the size of peas.
3. Keep chilled.