Food Events: New Izakaya Opens, Benefit Dinners and Brunch, Bread Workshop, and Piccino Reopens
Friday, May 6
Another izakaya opens, this one in SoMa's Zen Compound. The 40-seat Ki restaurant is set to serve sushi (sardines, arctic char, local albacore tuna), yakitori, and a tempura striped bass and pickled slaw roll topped with crushed potato chips. Expect a big selection of sake, whisky, Japanese craft beers, and cocktails. 540 Howard St.
Saturday, May 7
From 10:30 a.m. to noon, Urban Sprouts is having a fundraiser brunch is their newly designed garden at June Jordan School for Equity. Nopa restaurant is behind the food, and there will be a silent auction to benefit the organization's six school gardens. Brunch is $30 for adults and $5 for kids under 10. 325 La Grande Ave.
Also, SF Chefs Unite is putting on two benefits (Saturday and Sunday nights) at Technique Restaurant for the Japanese Cultural Community Center of Northern California, which established the Northern Japan Earthquake Relief Fund. There will be a 6 p.m. cocktail reception, six-course, Japanese-inspired meal with drink pairings, and a silent auction. Danny Bowien of Mission Chinese Food, Richie Nakano of Hapa Ramen, and Jake Godby of Humphry Slocombe will be there (among others), and tickets are $150. 350 Rhode Island St.
Sunday, May 8
Need something to do with mom? Sour Flour leads a workshop on bread starters, how to feed them, and how to build fermentation to get perfect loaves. http://sourflourstarter.eventbrite.com/ 2937 24th St.
Wednesday, May 11
Dogpatch's Piccino is set to reopen in the Yellow Building, where they're already running a coffee bar. Full food service should start up this week. 1001 Minnesota St.
- Week in Food: Jake Godby Dinner, Jam Workshop, Tequila Tailgate, Downtown Farmers Market, and More
- Week in Food: Bottle Cap Opens, Give A Dog A Bone Dinner Fundraiser, CUESA's Summer Celebration
- Week in Food: Street Food Fest, Knife Skills Workshop, Asian Culinary Forum, and more
- This Week in Food: Off the Grid Market, Pickle Workshop, Chili Cookoff, and Bon Vivants
- Week in Food: Free Ice Cream, Brisketfest, Pickling Workshop, and Jardiniere turns 14