A Guide to Food at Sunday's Golden Gate Bridge Anniversary Celebration
On Sunday, all manner of Golden Gate Bridge fanaticism will take hold of the water-bordering area between Chrissy Field and Marina Green for the entire day. It's the International Orange icon's 75th birthday, and what better way to celebrate than with a huge watercraft parade, a car show, and a "Bridge Dance"—all of it culminating with an explosion of fireworks from beneath and above the bridge at around 9:30 p.m. They're closing down pubic parking in the Presidio, Marina Green and Chrissy Field, but there will be lots to eat and see once you get there via bike or on foot. Take a look at the full rundown of festival highlights here, and see our complete rundown of all the food stalls that will be set up. You'll find us at the ones with a "**" besides them.
1) Sonoma Terikyaki: chicken on a stick, veggie fried rice, veggie chow mein and teriyaki chicken bowls.
2) Gourmet Faire: turkey or veggie "homemade" corn dogs, beer battered garlic fries, garlic crab fries
3) Pie for the People: cheese, vegan, pepperoni and several special pizzas like the "Bada Bing" with olive oil crust, mozarella, feta, pesto and pizza sauce.
4) Torani: brewed coffee, handcrafted sodas, iced coffee
5) Ear Good Corn: roasted corn, baked potato, baked yam
6) The American Grilled Cheese Kitchen**: classic grilled cheese on Pinkie's levain with optional tomato, bacon, pickles or jalapenos; tomato soup too
7) Mission Minis**: Assorted mini cupcakes
8) Lemnman: Lemonade with optional strawberries
9) Big Jim's BBQ: tri tip and pulled pork sandwiches, bbq ribs and roasted half chickens
10) Tara's Organic Ice Cream**: Organic flavors from the Berkeley shop in cups and cones
11) Gerard's Paella: chicken, shrimp and vegan options
12) Martin and Hunter: bacon wrapped hot dogs, kabobs, veggie and meat wraps
13) Peter's Kettle: Kettle corn
14) Tantes: Italian Sausage, beef hot dog, potato knish, chicken schwarma, falafel, deep fried chicken breast strips.
15) Pica Pica Maize Kitchen**: signature maize wich, arepas, yuca fries and sweet plantains
16) Captain Fish n' Chips: calamari, crab cakes, coconut shrimp and chips
1) Tantes: Italian Sausage, beef hot dog, potato knish, chicken schwarma, falafel, deep fried chicken breast strips.
2) Ear Good Corn: roasted corn, baked potato, baked yam
3) Earthly Delights: Philly cheesesteak, Italian garlic chicken sandwich, Cajun bbq chicken sandwich, blt and avocado ranch dip, Chinese chicken salad wrap, Sicilian veggie wrap
4) How Ya Bean: organic coffee and espresso
5) Carmen's Taqueria: beef or veggie tacos, super nachos, super burritos, fresh fruit and mango on a stick
6) Lemnman: Lemonade
7) No Catering**: chicken and sausage jambalaya, blackened shrimp, seafood gumbo, crawfish etouffee, Cajun sausage sandwich
8) Big Jim's BBQ: tri tip and pulled pork sandwiches, bbq ribs and roasted half chickens
9) Pedamonte: sausages, Philly cheesesteak, garlic fries
10) Napa Valley Noodles: Asian noodles with fresh vegetable, chicken and beef options
12) Desert Coffee: coffee, espresso
13) Calipop: Kettle corn, shaved ice
14) Gourmet Faire: turkey or veggie "homemade" corn dogs, beer battered garlic fries, garlic crab fries
15) Big Tony Brown BBQ: bbq chicken and pork sandwiches, combo plates, baked beans with sausage, wasabi coleslaw
1) Sift Truck**: Cupcakes, ice cream sammies, whoopie cookies, crispy cakes
2) Frickle Brothers**: fried pickle chips or fried green tomatoes with various gourmet dips
3) Seoul on Wheels**: Korean bbq tacos, kimchi fried rice plates, Asian burritos, pork potstickers
4) Cole Coffee: organic and fair trade coffee, vegan donuts and locally made baked goods
5) Garden Creamery**: gourmet push pops and ice cream sandwiches
6) Sam's Chowder**: clam chowder, calamari, fish and chips
7) Hapa SF**: Lumpia Shanghai, vegetarian pancit, lumpia, Beeler Ranch sisig
8) Bacon Bacon: burger, griled cheese, pork banh mi
9) Municher Truck: bratwurst, frankfurters, Municher curry wurst, German potato salad
10) Cosmic Voodoo Van: steak and seitan sandwiches, fried green balls, fried potato balls
If you want to celebrate away from the throngs:
SusieCakes is offering Golden Gate cookies from May 21 to May 28 at their Chestnut Street store in the Marina. For you bridge fanatics there is also a three tier Golden Gate layer cake available for you and your closest 99 friends, available for $395 dollars.
On Sunday, Greens Restaurant is offering a four-course menu for $75, perfectly timed from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. so that diners can stick around and watch the fireworks from the dining room afterwards. Dishes like "International orange carrot soup" with lime point spiced yogurt give a cheeky, yet appropriate nod to the celebration. Call the restaurant to book.
The Academy of Sciences is dedicating its regular Nightlife event to the Golden Gate Bridge TONIGHT. The event includes a photo exhibit, a geeky bridge trivia quiz, live jazz, and bars peppered throughout the museum serving the GG75, an International Orange colored drink made with sparkling wine, Campari and blood orange juice.
- Celebrate Golden Gate’s 75th with a Giant Bottle of Bubbly
- Off The Grid Brings Its Biggest Food Truck Gathering Ever to Golden Gate Fields This Saturday
- Chez Panisse Continues Its 40th Anniversary Celebrations, Here's How To Make the Most of It
- Scenes of the City: Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Company
- Cultivate Festival: Golden Gate Park Eats & Beats This Weekend