Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink for Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Trumer Earth Day Celebration: Want to make a difference this Earth Day? Head out to the Trumer brewery to participate in a neighborhood clean-up, and you'll be rewarded with free beer, a VIP tour of the facilities, a T-shirt, and snacks from Seoul on Wheels. Volunteering: it's the gift that keeps on giving. Check out their Facebook event page for more details. (Saturday, April 23rd, clean-up 12-2 pm, party 2-5 pm, at Trumer Brauerei, 1404 4th St., Berkeley.)
2. Domaine de Canton Cocktail Competition: The ginger liqueur Domaine de Canton is holding a bartending contest, with representatives of Smuggler's Cove, Michael Mina, Elixir, The Slanted Door, and more competing for the regional title (and a chance at the national crown). Attendees get complimentary appetizers and samples of the competitors' cocktails. RSVP here. (Monday, April 25th, 9 pm, at Azul, 1 Tillman Place, Union Square.)
3. Cafe des Amis Happy Hour: The swanky Cow Hollow brasserie is bringing its hefty prices down to earth for the plebes at a new happy hour. Feast on $1 oysters while you sip a $2 Trumer, $5 Moscow Mule, or $5 glass of pinot blanc. If you decide to play hooky on a nice day, their sidewalk tables make a great place to enjoy the spread. (Monday-Friday, 3-6 pm, at Cafe des Amis, 2000 Union St., Cow Hollow.)
4. Eastside West Happy Hour: This Cow Hollow standby has recently undergone a renovation of both its interior and its menu, with the latter shifting to a focus on small plates. You can sample the new fare on the cheap at their happy hour, where dishes like smoked salmon bruschetta, nachos, fried calamari, and housemade pigs in a blanket run $4-6. Wash it down with a $3 Anchor Steam or Stella, a $4 glass of wine, or a $5 mojito. (Tuesday-Friday, 4-7 pm, at Eastside West, 3154 Fillmore St., Cow Hollow.)
5. Local Kitchen Happy Hour: This SOMA spot recently got its liquor license, and to celebrate, they're going hard in the paint on happy hour. They've already got $5 glasses of wine and $3 beers, plus $1 oysters on Fridays and Saturdays; inquire within to get more details on cocktail and bar-menu price cuts. Saturday happy hour is a beautiful thing. (Tuesday-Saturday, 5-7 pm, at Local Kitchen, 330 1st St., SOMA.)