50 Things to Do in Lake Tahoe in Winter
Lake Tahoe is not just a place to go skiing or boarding (even though that's pretty great). There are hundreds of other indoor and outdoor things to do in this mountain area in the winter — we've just narrowed it down to 50.
1. Go sledding at Tahoe Meadows and get there early or later in the afternoon for good parking.
2. Hit the Around the World run at Mount Rose Ski Tahoe at 9 a.m.
3. Cross country ski the Royal Gorge near Soda Springs.
4. Moonlight snowshoe Chickadee Ridge near Tahoe Meadows and get a great view of the North Shore at night.
5. Get the Firenze thin crust pizza and a pitcher of beer at Mofo's Pizza & Pasta in Incline.
6. Hit happy hour at the Lone Eagle Gille at the Hyatt and put your feet up on the outdoor fire pit.
7. Order the Caesar Salad with anchovies at Pianeta Ristorante in Truckee (make reservations).
8. Watch (or compete) in the polar bear swim from the dock at Gar Woods during SnowFest!
10. Chow down on a Durham Ranch Bison Burger and sweet potato fries (with chipotle mayo) and a lemonade at Burger Me in Truckee.
11. Get a ski lesson package (with gear and pass) at Tahoe Donner for $89.
12. Snowshoe in and camp at the Sierra Club's Peter Grubb Hut.
13. Take the Aerial Tram to High Camp at Squaw Valley.
14. Ski or board Granite Chief and the Funnel at Squaw Valley.
15. Bring your dog and stay at the Cedar House Sport Hotel near Truckee.
16. Soak naked in the Meditation Dome pool at Sierra Hot Springs.
17. Get a Swedish massage at Massage on the Lake Day Spa in Tahoe City.
18. Eat the Braised Short Rib and Bacon Wrapped Carrots at Stella near Truckee.
19. Go shopping for local art and jewelry in downtown Truckee.
21. Have a glass of wine at the bar at the Cottonwood in Truckee.
22. Get the seaweed salad and any of the salmon rolls at Yoshimi Sushi in Incline.
23. Have a romantic getaway at the Shooting Star B&B in Carnelian Bay.
24. Drink an espresso at Where We Met in Tahoma (come back in summer for their gelato).
1. Take the Heavenly Gondola up to the observation deck and have a winter picnic.
2. Board the challenging runs at Kirkwood.
3. Strap on skins and randonnée the beautiful backcountry of Mt. Tallac above Fallen Leaf Lake.
4. Take a winter boat tour of Emerald Bay with the Tahoe Queen or MS Dixie II.
5. Kiss at Café Fiore.
7. Sleep under a canvas tent in the comfort of your own room at the Basecamp hotel in South Lake Tahoe.
8. Grab a pesto mozzarella bagel, cream cheese and tall coffee from Rude Brothers Bagels in South Lake Tahoe.
9. Go ice skating at the South Lake Tahoe Ice Arena.
10. Eat the creamy and decadent Lobster Ravioli in Tomato-Basil Cream Sauce at Scusa Ristorante.
11. Ski from California to Nevada and back again at the top of Heavenly.
12. Hit the slots or tables at the friendly Lakeside Inn & Casino.
13. Stay in a cute cabin and then go snowshoeing at Sorenson's Resort in Hope Valley.
14. Snowshoe down to Vikingsholm Castle in Emerald Bay.
15. Grab a Woody at the Riva Grill at sunset (drink umbrella is optional).
16. Go snow tubing at Hansen's Resort.
18. Sleep in a cabin at the Fireside Lodge B&B.
19. Eat the homemade soup and a Reuben sandwich at Keys Café.
20. Wine taste at Aprés Wine Company (check out their wine dispensing machines).
21. Take nature-loving children to the Taylor Creek Visitor Center. Take them back in the fall to watch the salmon spawn.
22. Participate in the snow-shoe cocktail races at The Beacon.
23. Order the Coconut or Pecan waffles at the Original Red Hut Café.
25. Go snowmobiling with Lake Tahoe Adventures.
26. Enjoy Elk, Sea Bass or Steak with a view of the lake at the Edgewood Restaurant.
Brought to you by Camp Richardson