50 Things to Do in Tahoe This Summer
There's probably nothing better than the mountains in summer. The days are hot and sunny and the nights are cool with that perfect temperature for sleeping in a tent. Lake Tahoe really comes alive in the summer months with various outdoor sports and special events. Even though this list could go on ad infinitum, we narrowed it down to the top 50.
1. Kayak to Fannette Island, hike up to the tea house and jump off the rocks into Emerald Bay
2. Hit a few golf balls into the water at Edgewood and then go snorkeling to find them again
3. Get an all-over tan on the nude beach at Secret Cove.
4. Hike to the top of Mount Tallac for views of Fallen Leaf Lake, Cascade Lake, Desolation Wilderness and South Lake Tahoe.
5. Bring a picnic and cheer on Puck at the Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival's production of A Midsummer Night's Dream at Sand Harbor.
6. Grab a beer and chat with the locals at the Genoa Bar (Nevada's Oldest Thirst Parlor) in Genoa
7. Hike from Emerald Bay to Lester Beach on the Rubicon Trail
8. Paddleboard from King's Beach to Crystal Bay on the North Shore.
9. Find your balance at the Wanderlust yoga festival at Squaw Valley.
10. Go kayak or boat camping at the Emerald Bay Boat-In Campground
12. Fly along the water on a jet ski from Tahoe Sports
13. Hike to the top of Mount Rose and a get a view of Reno/Sparks, Carson City, Washoe Valley and all of Lake Tahoe.
14. Hike or mountain bike portions of or the entire 165-mile Tahoe Rim Trail
16. Tube the Truckee river through downtown Reno
17. Jump off the rocks into the cold, blue water in the Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park
18. Admire some beautiful boats at the Concours d'Elegance
19. Get the beer sampler and a Bad Ass Pizza at the Brewery in South Lake Tahoe. Eat on the outside deck.
20. Take the ferry and then hike the Echo Lakes Trail into Desolation Wilderness
21. Hang glide off the top of Slide Mountain with Thermal Sky Sports
22. After all the hiking and biking, get deep tissue or foot massage at Mountain Lotus Yoga
23. Go shopping in downtown Truckee
24. Jump off the Donner Lake public docks at sunset
25. Kayak from Sand Harbor to the Thunderbird Lodge
27. Go green and stay at the Basecamp Hotel in South Lake Tahoe
28. Hike along a portion of the 2,650 mile Pacific Crest Trail
29. Drink wine and play bocce at the Truckee River Winery
30. Parasail over the North Shore
31. Go backpack camping in Desolation Wilderness
32. Have an evening picnic at Nevada Beach
33. Head down to Reno for Artown
34. Stay at the Camp Richardson Cabins before heading to Baldwin and Kiva beach
35. Go camping at D.L. Bliss State Park
36. Take a sunset sail on the Tahoe Cruz or the Woodwind II
37. Bike from Sugar Pine Point to Tahoe City on the bike path
38. Pretend you're a viking warrior while touring the Vikingsholm Castle in Emerald Bay
39. Get together 12 of your best friends and stay at the Tahoe Castle
40. Enjoy the sound of the river while drinking a beer at the Bridgetender in Tahoe City
41. Go river rafting on the Truckee in Tahoe City
42. While in Reno, bike along the Tahoe Pyramid Bikeway
44. Explore the North Shore in a kayak
46. Get high above the lake in a hot air balloon
47. Sleep close to nature in the rustic Clair Tappaan Lodge on Donner Summit
48. Hike to the top of the paved Stateline Fire Lookout trail with the kids
49. Chow down on an ice cream cone from the Camp Richardson Resort ice cream parlor