Your guide to the tastiest foodie happenings going down this week. Bon appetit!
Black Cat Opens in the Tenderloin
Part bar, part restaurant, and part event space, Black Cat has opened its doors in the Tenderloin. Behind the food of this supper club is Ryan Cantwell (Chez Panisse, Zuni), who will be serving up dinner until 1am, and a bar menu until 1:30am. Small plates and interesting specials such as swordfish and octopus meatballs and oyster pot pies will help you soak up all that late night booze. // Open daily, 400 Eddy St. (Tenderloin), blackcatsf.com
El Destilado Dinner at Calavera
Calavera is hosting a six-course dinner with Julio Aguilera of El Destilado restaurant in Oaxaca. Before opening his restaurant in Mexico, Aguilera cooked at Leopold's, Saison, and La Urbana, so this dinner is a homecoming of sorts for the Mexican chef. In addition to a tasty menu of traditional Oaxacan fare, El Destilado co-creator Jason Cox will also on hand for a pre-dinner tasting of four rare mezcals ($20/person). The dinner is $55, with special cocktail pairings for an additional $20. There are only 35 settings available, so reserve today by calling the restaurant at 510-338-3273 . // $55, Wednesday, Aug. 10, 7pm, at 2337 Broadway (Oakland), calaveraoakland.com
The Purgatorio from Pizzeria Delfina is topped with spicy tomato sauce, 2 farm eggs, and pecorino romano cheese. (Courtesy of Caviar)
Caviar Delivers Secret Menu Items
This month, Caviar has partnered with some of SF top restaurants to offer a few secret menu items that are available for delivery exclusively through Caviar. Delectable dining-in options include:
- The Brass Monkey from Little Star: this classic deep-dish pie comes with spinach, ricotta, mushrooms, onions, garlic and sausage
- The Purgatorio from Pizzeria Delfina: this Neapolitan-inspired pizza is topped with spicy tomato sauce, 2 farm eggs, and pecorino romano cheese (available for delivery from the pizzeria's Mission and Pac Heights locations).
- The Works from American Grilled Cheese Kitchen: AGCK's popular Mousetrap sandwich — a cheesy extravaganza that comes with Tillamook cheddar, Monterey jack, and Havarti on sourdough — gets an add-on of bacon, roasted tomatoes, and bread 'n' butter pickles in this special, known as The Works.
- Cherry Poppers from Merigan Sub Shop: these off-menu pickled cherry peppers are stuffed with mozzarella and salami, and can be ordered by the half-pint.
- Bacon Fries and The Burger "Like Eddy" from Bacon Bacon: you won't find these French fries on the menu - tossed in herbs, Parmesan, spicy olive oil, homemade bacon bits, and bacon jam served with a side of blue cheese vinaigrette. And if you order any sandwich or burger "like Eddy," our friends at Bacon Bacon will put fries right on or in the sandwich too.
Bon Appétit Reveals 50 Best New Restaurants
Bon Appétit magazine revealed their annual list of America's 50 best new restaurants this week, all of which are contenders for the Hot 10 (last year Al's Place topped the list at #1). This year, three San Francisco restaurants made the list: Lord Stanley, Cala/Tacos Cala, and The Perennial. BA will announce the Hot 10 August 16. You already know who we're rooting for. // bonappetit.com
Know Thy Fisherman Dinner at The Progress
Connect more closely to your local fishing community and join Chefs Stuart Brioza and Nicole Krasinski at The Workshop, upstairs at The Progress, for a special Seafood Stories Dinner. Local fishermen will join the dinner table and share stories of their lives at sea and tell what a day in the life of a Bay Area fisherman is like. Stuart and Nicole will cook up a five-course menu with the bounty brought in by the fishermen, and proceeds from the dinner will benefit Fish Revolution, the non-profit that provides education on sustainable seafood. // $135, Tuesday, Aug. 30, 6pm and 8:30pm, at 1525 Fillmore St. (Fillmore), Get tickets here.