Game of Thrones is back this Sunday, April 24 to fill that empty void in our lives where we've been aching for dragons, violence, and gratuitous nudity.
If you're hosting a viewing party to celebrate season six, you'll need a Game of Thrones-style meal to impress your fellow fans. Taste Catering and Event Planning (the company behind every Game of Thrones event in the Bay Area) gave us a delicious recipe that will pair perfectly with Jon Snow being brought back to life (fingers crossed)!
The King's Landing Midnight Plate
Braised angus beef short ribs on a bed of celery root puree with a sherry reduction & first crop spring asparagus.
7.5lbs boneless beef short ribs
2lbs carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
2lbs yellow onions, peeled and cut into large pieces
4 stalks celery, rinsed and cut into large pieces
3 bay leaves
1 bunch thyme
1 cup red wine
4 cups dry sherry
12 cups veal stock
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 each, star anise
1 cup olive oil
Kosher salt, to taste
1. Lightly season short ribs with salt and sear in olive oil on all sides over medium high heat, forming a nice caramelization on the meat.
2. Remove the oil, and deglaze the pan with wine and sherry, and reduce by half.
3. Pour the reduced wines and all the other ingredients in a roasting or braising pan (preferably so the meat will be halfway submerged in liquid).
4. Cover and cook at 325 degrees until tender (to test, carefully uncover ribs and place a small knife into meat, it should go in with no resistance).
5. Allow the ribs to cool in the liquid (cooking and cooling can be done day ahead).
6. Once cool, carefully remove short ribs and set aside.
7. Strain liquid through a fine chinois into a sauce pan.
8. While reducing, skim off all oil/grease and impurities.
9. Reduce until it's at a sauce consistency.
10. Season your sauce to perfection, and then set it aside.
11. When the meat is cool, portion it into 5 ounce pieces.
12. Place the portioned short ribs in a sauté pan with 1 cup of sauce.
13. Cover and heat gently over low heat until hot.
CELERY ROOT PUREE
3 lbs celery root, peeled and cut into medium size pieces
1.5lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium size pieces
1.5 cups cream
¼ lb butter, room temp
Kosher salt. to taste
¼ cup crème fraiche
1. Place the celery root and potatoes in a pot and fill with cold water.
2. Place three tablespoons of salt in the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a nice simmer and cook until done.
3. Strain the veggies and let sit for 5 minutes.
4. In a food mill or a ricer, process celery root potato mixture.
5. Gently fold in cream, crème fraiche and butter.
6. Season to taste (though frankly, the more butter and cream the better in our opinion).
7. Set aside in a warm spot until you are ready to plate.
ASPARAGUS & CIPOLLINI ONIONS
3 lbs local asparagus, trimmed and blanched
2.5 lbs cipollino onions, peeled and roasted
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt, to taste
1. Gently heat asparagus and onions in a pan with butter and olive oil.
2. Season to taste.
Plate your masterpiece and watch Khaleesi and Tyrion win the throne! (That's who our money is on anyway).