Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Buy One, Get One Beer at Elixir: The Mission mixology palace Elixir serves a lot of tasty drinks, but they usually don't come cheap. In a bid to attain football-season dominance, however, Elixir is offering a limited-time coupon (with some help from City Dish): come in with a party of at least 4 for a weekend NFL/NCAA game or Monday Night Football, buy a pitcher of beer, and get a second pitcher of domestic beer gratis. It's all the lubrication you could need for cheering on your favorite team. Grab the coupon here. (Saturday, Sunday, and Monday during games, at Elixir, 3200 16th St., Mission.)
2. Half-Off Wine at Contigo: It's a classic SF sob story: your friends are all at Burning Man, running around half-naked and using composting toilets, but you have to work. To drown your sorrows, Contigo is offering a special deal for non-Burners-- half off all their bottles of wine under $45, until Thursday. You'll be eating jamon serrano and drinking Rioja while your friends avoid bathing for a week. Advantage: you. (Through Thursday, September 2, at Contigo, 1230 Castro St., Noe Valley.)
3. Friday Tastings at the Wine Club: The Wine Club isn't really a "club" in the traditional sense: there's no fees, membership cards, or secret treehouses. But stumbling on their Friday happy hour can make you feel like you're in on a really good secret, with $5 buying lots of tasty samples, catered snacks like sushi or Mexican food, and plenty of friendly company. If you prefer your tastings more focused, drop in on Saturday, when the store highlights a specific region or varietal for $10. (Friday, 5-7 pm, and Saturday, 2-5 pm, at The Wine Club, 953 Harrison St., SOMA.)
4. Bottomless Mimosas at Triptych: The little patch of Folsom between 7th and 8th has really been taking off lately-- and if you can't squeak into newer hotspots like Citizen's Band or Radius, you might want to consider swinging by brunch at Triptych, a neighborhood stalwart. $25 will buy not only your entree, but bottomless mimosas as well. Classic OJ, mango, and raspberry are all on offer, and you're encouraged to mix up the flavors; just don't mix up the number of glasses you've had, or you might not remember the rest of the weekend. (Saturday, Sunday, and holidays, 10 am-4 pm, at Triptych, 1155 Folsom St., SOMA.)
5. Luna Park's Double Happy Hour: Luna Park likes happy hour so much that they're offering it twice a day. Every weekday, swing by in the early hours for two-for-one drinks and appetizers, or pop in late for the same deal. Can't let the price cuts stop at your drinks? Stay abreast of their Twitter feed, where they occasionally announce a secret password good for 50% off your meal. (Weekdays, 5-7 pm and 10-11 pm, at Luna Park, 694 Valencia St., Mission.)