Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Food and Thought: The "Now Playing" series at SFMOMA continues to offer one of the best fusions of cheap drinks, culture, and tasty food in town, with $5 small plates from the likes of Coi and Local: Mission Eatery, an art collaboration with Noise Pop, and complimentary Trumer Pils and Scribe wine. All this can be yours for a half-price museum admission; members get in free. (Thursday, November 24, 6-8 pm, at SFMOMA Rooftop Garden, 151 3rd St., SOMA.)
2. Burger, Beer, and Bourbon at Fifth Floor: The swank burger at Fifth Floor features bourbon-braised onions and Comte cheese, not to mention attractive surroundings. For $25, you can accompany it with a shot of Buffalo Trace bourbon and a Lagunitas IPA. The deal will be available at Fifth Floor's bar until the end of March, when they'll shake up the $25 offering. (Monday-Saturday, 5-10 pm, at Fifth Floor, 12 4th St., SOMA.)
3. FreeDarko at the Rockit Room: If you're a fan of insightful NBA commentary (or have a friend or significant other who is), consider swinging by the Rockit Room for a Green Apple-sponsored talk with the founders of the popular basketball blog FreeDarko. They'll be signing copies of their Undisputed Guide to Pro Basketball History, and the bar will be dishing up $3 happy hour drafts and wells and $2 Newcastles. (Thursday, February 24, happy hour 6-8, reading at 7, Newcastles until 12 am, at the Rockit Room, 406 Clement St., Inner Richmond.)
4. Glamtastica: Glam-rock enthusiasts should mark their calendars for Metrowize's Glamtastica party at Harlot. Those who RSVP and arrive from 9 to 10 will get free entry and free drinks, and the best glam costume will win table service for four. It's the perfect excuse to pull out that Labyrinth-style codpiece. RSVP here. (Thursday, February 24, free drinks/entry 9-10 pm, at Harlot, 46 Minna St., SOMA.)
5. Noise Pop Happy Hours: Fernet-Branca is presenting a number of Noise Pop band happy hours at Bender's, with free performances and (presumably) cheap Fernet and other drinks (Pabst is sponsoring a couple as well). They'll be offered today, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. There are too many bands playing to list, so for more info, check out the full schedule here. (Bender's, 806 South Van Ness Ave., Mission.)