Seven Favorite Things: First Rite New Lookbook + Q&A
We know winter is fast approaching, but First Rite's new lookbook already has us yearing for spring. Talented local designer, Nikki Garcia, created a very calm-cool look for her Spring 2014 collection, including a few handsome men's shirts that are new to the mix.
We sat down with Nikki to talk about design, menswear, and all things local.
1. What inspired the latest collection?
The Spring 14 season was inspired by the lines we perceive as separating land and water from the sky. I broke up the shapes with lines that mimic the contrast and sharp colors that the changing sky creates from day to night, and experimented with hand dipping fabric into indigo to achieve different shades of blue.
2. Where do you shop?
My favorite stores to browse are Voyager, Reliquary and General Store. They each have a unique mix of clothing, jewelry, housewares, and books, so they cover a lot of bases. My go-to's for vintage are Painted Bird and Held Over.
3. What song's stuck in your head?
The Rosemary's Baby theme song with Mia Farrow.
4. What's sexy?
Confidence, good conversation and amazing eyes.
5. What's next for First Rite?
I just introduced a couple men's shirts to the line, and I want to continue to build my men's collection! So many shops are selling a combination of men's and women's, so it makes it easy to approach them with both.
6. I would die if _________ wore First Rite.
7. What's your SF Top 5?
Bernal Hill walks, Outerlands breakfast, Sushi Zone's baked bass with mango, Philz iced coffee, and Golden Gate Park bike rides.
Lily Ko (lily7x7 @gmail.com) studied fashion design and merchandising at Central Saint Martins and the Academy of Art University. In addition to writing for 7x7, Lily works as a freelance stylist, writer, and designer.
- Seven Favorite Things: Camelia Skikos' New Lookbook + Q&A
- Seven Favorite Things: New Products + Q&A with Blu Kicks
- Seven Favorite Things: Timbuk2's New Distilled Collection + Q&A with Director of Product & Design
- Seven Favorite Things: Legion + Q&A With The Owner
- Seven Favorite Things: Serial Cultura Spring 2013 Lookbook