While it's become an increasingly popular trend for stylish summer menswear, foregoing socks can be scary for a lot dudes out there. Fear not. Save the flip-flops for the beach, and don't fuss over clunky man sandals -- instead, look to one of these sunny-day loafers and check out our tips for going sockless:
- Know which shoes can be worn sockless. Typically, sneakers, loafers, oxfords, some chukkas and, of course, sandals are your best bets.
- Only go sockless with shorts (always), well-rolled pants, or properly hemmed pants with very-little-to-no break.
- To avoid odor issues, don't wear the same shoes every day. In addition to maintaining a healthy rotation, use cedar shoe trees to preserve shape and absorb moisture. If that's not cutting it, make sure your feet are extra clean and dry, and sprinkling a little powder (Gold Bond or even baby powder will work) in each shoe before slipping them on. If you need to get rid odor, simply put your shoes in plastic bags and stick in them in the freezer overnight -- the cold will kill the bacteria.
1. The Brothers Bray & Co. x Sebago Hamden In Tan Tassel Loafer, $115
2. Eastland Made in Maine Falmouth Camp Moccasin, $275
3. Cole Haan Air Grant Moccasin $138
4. Kenneth Cole Reaction Sun-ny Day Slip-On Loafer, $118
5. Arfango Split Toe Penny Loafer, $650
6. Eastland Made in Maine Freeport USA Boat Shoe, $129.99
7. Yuketen Country Loafer, $432
8. Sperry Top-Sider Authentic Original 2-Eye Salt Stained Boat Shoe, $90
9. Martha Davis Suede Slipper, $237
Lily Ko (lily.7x7 @ gmail.com) studied fashion design and merchandising at Central Saint Martins and the Academy of Art University. In addition to writing for 7x7, Lily is an editor at SF Station, works as a freelance stylist and covers food, fashion and fun on her blog, Curated SF.