SF Fashion Week is upon us... Here's what you don't want to miss:
1. Fashion/Tech Workshops at the Apple Store(1 Stockton St.), Monday August 8-Wednesday August 10, 5pm-7pm, Free.
As part of this year's Bay Area tech-meets-fashion theme, numerous tech and fashion industry speakers will hold small workshops at the Union Square Apple Store. The workshops will touch on everything from how maximize your Mac for fashion, to the ins-and-outs of starting a shoe company.
2. Fashion Exhibit at 5 Claude Lane Gallery(5 Claude Lane), Thursday August 11, 6pm-10pm.
The highly respected, young gallery, 5 Claude Lane, will host an evening of fashion and art, with designers and models from the weekend's runway shows. The gallery is tucked away, across from Gitane -- a deliciously fashionable spot to hop to afterwards.
3. Emerging Designers Fashion Show at Madrone Studios(1417 15th St.), Friday August 12, 6pm-9pm, $30-$40.
The first of three runway shows, the Emerging Designers Show will feature the new(er) kids on the fashion block. And while their talent are certainly still brewing, don't overlook these local talents: Avni Trivedi for Avni Fashions, Faatui Toele, Amanda Everest for Lucky Lu Clothing and Jennifer Ly.
4. Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show at Madrone Studios(1417 15th St.), Saturday August 13, 6pm-9pm, $30-$40.
The Ready-to-Wear runway show offers a versatile range of designers including: the recently interviewed Alyssa Casares with her line, Alyssa Bird, the men's undergarments line, Victor's Promise (catch the Victoria's Secret twist?), and Boditecture by Wen Guo, an innovative line of convertible clothing that should make for a fun runway experience.
5. Avant Garde Fashion Show at Madrone Studios(1417 15th St.), Sunday August 14, 6pm-9pm, $30-$40.
To close SF Fashion week 2011, the Avant Garde finale show will reveal bold designs by Violetta Vieux (also recently interviewed), KenChen men's and women's wear, and must-see, futuristic-chic designs by ex-Levis and Gap designer, and current Academy of Art University Fashion School professor, Camelia Skikos.
Lily Ko (lily.7x7 @ gmail.com) studied fashion design and merchandising at Central Saint Martins and the Academy of Art University. In addition to writing for 7x7, Lily is an editor at SF Station, works as a freelance stylist and covers food, fashion and fun on her blog, Curated SF.