This Week in Food: Pal's Takeaway, Filipino Cooking Demo, Eat Retreat, Potluck for Readers
Today, Jan. 26
The Wednesday guest chef series at Pal’s Takeaway, inside Tony’s Market, is back on with a major sandwich from Laurence Jossel of Nopa. Between an Acme green onion slab, Jossel piles house-cured and smoked trout, house-smoked bacon, and pickled onions, plus a healthy spread of avocado-Meyer lemon mayonnaise. Get 'em starting at lunchtime for $8.50 at 2751 24th St. 415-203-4911.
Sunday, Jan. 30
Monday, Jan. 31
It’s your last chance to apply for Eat Retreat, a weekend workshop and getaway in Sonoma for wannabe chefs, food writers, and leaders in the food community. Activities include cooking collaborations, recipe revamping, and picnics at a secluded ranch decked out with a chef’s dream kitchen. Takes place April 8-12. Apply here.
Tuesday, Feb. 1
Pick up your forks and pens. Cookbook author Thy Tran hosts this month’s Feast of Words potluck dinner at SOMArts Cultural Center, starting at 7 p.m.. Everyone, including Tran, will bring a dish based on a theme (this time it’s “sensory feast”) and try their hand at a quick-write competition for prizes, most likely more food and books. Tickets are $10 in advance, $5 with a potluck dish, or $12 at the door. Cash bar.
- This Week in Food: Chefapalooza at Pal's Takeaway, Jonathan Waxman Signing, More Brunch, and Free Lunch
- This Week in Food: Tsunami Relief Lunch, Off the Grid Returns, Pâté Demo, Spring Equinox, and More
- Week in Food: Lucky Peach Launch Party, Mission Chinese Food Reopens and an Iron Chef Demos Downtown
- Afternoon Delight: Sandwiches From Pal's Takeaway
- This Week in Food: Rose Pistola Reopens, Supper Club, Food Culture Talks, and Butchers and Beer